DonBoy
Let me say publicly that DonBoy’s answer exudes a combination of intuitive genius and confidence that make me think DonBoy is going to do big things in his life. -- Steven D. Levitt (Freakonomics blog)
Saturday, August 23, 2003
 
A white hat virus?

I was noticing that ZoneAlarm was reporting piles and piles of pings to my machine, all from sympatico.ca. I went over to the home of Shields Up, to retest my Internet invisibility, and read this:

Although no worm designed to infiltrate and make uninvited modifications to a user's computer can seriously be called "good", researchers have discovered a new Internet worm which attempts to remove the previous worms and patches the vulnerable system by downloading and installing Microsoft's DCOM/RPC updates.

As a side effect of its scanning for vulnerable machines, this new worm generates a great deal of ICMP traffic, which firewall log watchers are seeing and have been reporting.>

So..uh...good on them! I guess.

Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
free website counter