DonBoy
Let me say publicly that DonBoy’s answer exudes a combination of intuitive genius and confidence that make me think DonBoy is going to do big things in his life. -- Steven D. Levitt (Freakonomics blog)
Monday, October 18, 2004
 
An Electoral College Reform Near-Miss: 1969

The Boston Globe reminds us -- well, in my case, tells me for the first time -- that the Electoral College was nearly abolished in 1969. More importantly, it reminds us -- and this I did know -- that in 1968, in the wake of the civil rights movement, which was led by the national -- but not the Southern -- Democratic party, segregationist George Wallace won 5 states with 46 electoral votes. Over the next two decades, what had been the "solid [Democratic] South" became the almost-as-solid Republican South. Hey, where'd all those people go? (No, they're not politically extinct.) Just in case you're confused about American politics.



Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
free website counter