DonBoy
Let me say publicly that DonBoy’s answer exudes a combination of intuitive genius and confidence that make me think DonBoy is going to do big things in his life. -- Steven D. Levitt (Freakonomics blog)
Thursday, February 24, 2005
 
"Grandkids"

Sometime in the last decade or so, it became commonplace for people to refer to their "grandkids". When I was a kid (and grandkid), there was no such word. My suspicion is that this word came into being when the youngest baby boomers, a.k.a. "The Generation That Refused To Grow Up", starting having grandchildren, and decided that grandchildren are what grandparents have -- and grandparents are old people! Not like us! We are vibrant and full of life!

Just a theory. What I need is one of the corpus..es... piles and piles of examples of people using the English language, like they have over at Language Log.

Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
free website counter