DonBoy
Let me say publicly that DonBoy’s answer exudes a combination of intuitive genius and confidence that make me think DonBoy is going to do big things in his life. -- Steven D. Levitt (Freakonomics blog)
Tuesday, February 22, 2005
 
A Piece of Forum Etiquette, Perfectly Stated

For no reason at all, I thought I'd mention one of the policies at Television Without Pity:

Why can't I start my posts with the word "um," be a snotty jerk, or present my views as God's TV gospel?

Don't start your posts with "um" or "uh" or words like that because nine times out of ten, those words precede a snotty correction directed at another poster. It's rude and dismissive and it drives the staff nuts, so please, don't do it. The same goes for "sorry, but..." and "excuse me, but..." and, really, any other snitty post-starter.

If you can't talk to other people as if they're intelligent, you can't post. Don't talk down to your fellow posters, don't lecture them, and don't state your opinion as fact. And please don't think we're going to argue technicalities of whether you said "uh" or "um" at the beginning of the post; we can tell when you're being snide and snotty about other people's opinions.

If you're having a problem keeping your temper under control, get it under control, or post somewhere else. It's supposed to be fun. It's not combat. It's not necessary for it to become personal.

If you want to point out an error, that's fine, but please find a way to do it that isn't the written equivalent of an eye-roll.
Oh, if I had a nickel for every annoying "Um..." on the net...I'd probably have killed myself long ago, if I'd had to read them to collect. When I'm king of the world, this will be enforced.




Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
free website counter