DonBoy
Let me say publicly that DonBoy’s answer exudes a combination of intuitive genius and confidence that make me think DonBoy is going to do big things in his life. -- Steven D. Levitt (Freakonomics blog)
Wednesday, August 10, 2005
 
Matt Groening on the Origin of the Simpsons Theme
I gave [Danny] Elfman what I called a "flavors" tape, featuring the kind of sound I wanted for The Simpsons theme. The tape included The Jetsons theme, selections from Nino Rota's Juliet of the Spirits, a Remington electric shaver jingle by Frank Zappa, some easy-listening music by Esquivel, and a teach-your-parrot-to-talk record.

Elfman gave it a listen and said, "I know exactly what you're looking for."

A month later we were recording the now-famous Simpsons theme on the 20th Century Fox lot with a huge orchestra. I think all the producers were a little nervous and fidgety about the untrendy audacity of the music. But then-executive producer James L. Brooks came in, listened a bit, then said, "My God! This is great! This is lemmings-marching-to-their-death music!"
-- from the liner notes to "Songs in the Key of Springfield". But for God's sake, don't go to the place I found this, or you'll never get out. Or here, either.

UPDATE: It gets far, far, worse: a total Scooby-Doo knockoff called Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance Kids.


Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
free website counter