DonBoy
Let me say publicly that DonBoy’s answer exudes a combination of intuitive genius and confidence that make me think DonBoy is going to do big things in his life. -- Steven D. Levitt (Freakonomics blog)
Thursday, April 05, 2007
 
More Philosophy

Everything's Hofstadter-y once you remember how to think that way. For instance: On Sunday's Meet the Press, Orrin Hatch said this about fired US Attorney Carol Lam:
She was a former law professor, no prosecutorial experience, and the former campaign manager in Southern California for Clinton...
In Josh Marshall's words,
Lam has never been a law professor, was an Assistant US Attorney for 14+ years and, of course, was never a campaign manager for Bill Clinton. Except for that, well...
Hatch's...retraction?
My comments about Carol Lam's record as a U.S. Attorney were accurate, but I misspoke when making the point of discussing politically connected U.S. Attorneys. I accidentally used her name, instead of her predecessor, Alan Bersin, who was appointed by President Bill Clinton.
So here's the question: you and I may say that Hatch was wrong, but might it not be fairer to say that he was just right, but about something else?

Just kidding.

But this has potential:

My comments about Carol Lam's record as a U.S. President were accurate, but I misspoke when making the point of discussing Presidents who were never actually President. I accidentally used her name, instead of Benjamin Franklin.

My comments about Carol Lam's record as a U.S. State were accurate, but I misspoke when making the point of discussing states that are shaped like mittens. I accidentally used her name, instead of Michigan if you don't count that funny other piece.

My comments about Carol Lam's record as a fictional sea-faring vessel were accurate, but I misspoke when making the point of discussing ships in 19th-century American literature. I accidentally used her name, instead of the Pequod.

My comments about Carol Lam's record as a controversial branch of Judaism were accurate, but I misspoke when making the point of discussing Jewish women wearing tallises. I accidentally used her name, instead of Reconstructionism.

My comments about Carol Lam's record as "that being than which no greater can be conceived" were accurate, but I misspoke when making the point of discussing deities whose existence can best be established by odd medieval philosophers. I accidentally used her name, instead of Dice-K. He's not? Well, tell that to the Boston sports media.

Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
free website counter